Platform Rocks 4.0 provides more choice, flexibility and efficiency for enterprises in the deployment and management of Linux clusters
Platform Computing Inc., the global leader in distributed and grid computing, today announced Platform Rocks 4.0, the latest version of the company’s industry-leading solution for the intuitive deployment and management of large-scale Linux clusters. With Platform Rocks 4.0 users now have more choice and flexibility in their hardware and software decisions, with the ability to support products from multiple vendors. In addition, cluster management has been greatly enhanced with new tools for simplified configuration and maintenance.
"Standardizing and simplifying all aspects of high-performance clusters is a key tenet of Dell's approach to HPCC and helps reduce the cost of advanced computing for customers," said Reza Rooholamini, PhD., Director, Enterprise Solutions Engineering, Dell. "The availability of Platform Rocks software on Dell’s standards-based HPCC configurations further delivers on this tenet by simplifying for customers the installation, management and operation of applications in small to large Linux-based computing infrastructures."
Platform Rocks 4.0 is based on the National Partnership for Advanced Computational Infrastructure (NPACI) Rocks developed by the San Diego Supercomputing Center (SDSC). Recently announced NPACI Rocks 4.0 new features include:
* The ability to add Rolls to a cluster without re-installing the cluster
* Support for CentOS or any Red Hat 4.0 based operating system
* The ability to pre-configure a node in the cluster database for ease of installation
Platform Rocks 4.0 leverages NPACI Rocks to offer extended functionality such as:
* A cluster database generation tool that allows administrators to define layout in a single XML file. This allows administrators to pre-configure Rocks with the necessary information for all nodes of a cluster with a single command before installation, facilitating new deployments or existing maintenance.
* Integration with Red Hat Network, allowing for automatic downloading and updating of security and application patches, ensuring proper cluster synchronization while simplifying the overall administration
* A Rocks roll operations tool that adds and removes NPACI and Platform Rocks rolls from the front end and compute nodes of a cluster without the need to re-install Rocks.
"Since the launch of Platform Rocks in late 2004, we have experienced tremendous success and market adoption, with the world’s largest and most powerful cluster users choosing our solutions," said Robert Shecterle, Vice President, Marketing, Platform Computing. "With a large and rapidly expanding customer base, the market is providing a clear indicator that we have the optimal solution for cluster management. Now, with its new features and continued support by industry leading partners such as Dell, Platform Rocks 4.0 promises to help customers more effectively manage high performance computing clusters while increasing performance and productivity."
Pricing and Availability
Platform Rocks 4.0 will be available in summer 2005 from leading partners, including Dell and SGI, as well as at www.platform.com/rocks. Additionally, customers have the option to purchase Annual Cluster Care, a package of value added services (including expert 24/7 support, periodic upgrades, and patches). Annual Cluster Care is priced on a per node basis.
About Platform Computing
Platform Computing, the global leader in grid computing solutions, helps enterprises accelerate key business applications, reduce operational and capital costs, guarantee service levels and optimize their IT resources. Platform’s integrated desktop and enterprise grid software solutions are used by over 1,700 customers worldwide in the financial services, government, industrial manufacturing, electronics and life science industries to deliver higher quality products and services, improve business performance and maximize the return on IT investments. Founded in 1992, Platform has strategic relationships with Apple, Dell, HP, IBM, Intel, SAS and SGI, and the Industry’s broadest application integration support. More information about Platform can be found at http://www.platform.com